Sunday, October 01, 2006

Journalists' Gold

Fine. I'm giving in. As seemingly the only 20something in America without a blog to call my own, I'm feeling left out. So here goes, with a post that will only confirm the nerdiness of myself and others like me:

I work from noon until around 8 p.m. every Saturday. Most of the time, I'm alone in the newsroom for the first few hours. Yesterday, I happened to stop by the mailroom and noticed a package for the news editor (I'm the assistant city editor). From the labels on it, I could tell this box held the journalist's equivalent of gold. ...

Associated Press Stylebooks! And not just any old AP stylebooks, either. These were brand new 2006 versions, complete with all the options (spiral bound, leather interior, sunroof, etc.).

I decided to give Megan the honor of opening them, as her name was on the box. She arrived about three hours later and nearly squealed with delight that they had arrived. She then began distributing them to all of the copy editors (I'm technically one of them.) and taking the old dusty 2005 editions to those who were previously without a stylebook.

Now, I always love the smell of a new book, but this was special.

Thankfully, the AP provides a page with a listing of all the additions, deletions and changes since the previous edition. Oddly enough, "blog" has been deleted, while "20something" has been added. I didn't have time to check why on either count. I'll try to check and let you all know after I head back to the office on Tuesday.

Are those of us at The Advocate really that strange for celebrating? What's your favorite/least favorite AP style point? And why did it take until Sept. 30 to get this year's edition?

8 Comments:

At October 01, 2006 10:32 PM, Blogger CE Butler said...

Ok, Ryno... you're officially one of the biggest nerds I know.
And, I respect that.
How about pet peeve instead of technically an AP style point? I'll go with the old faithful, "underway"

As in, "under way"

As strange as it is to say now, I used to get that warm, fuzzy feeling when Goode finally delivered new media guides!

 
At October 01, 2006 10:45 PM, Blogger Sara Ann said...

First of all, love the name of the blog. Excellent choice.

Second, I am totally down with the style love. Language is what separates us from the animals (okay, tools, sure, whatever), and good grammar is what separates us from the blithering idiots and the just plain sloppy. Go ahead, Cookie: geek out.

 
At October 01, 2006 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan!
Glad that you joined the world of journal tech, but sad that you left out a link to my blog. www.xanga.com/geolynx

Leah

 
At October 02, 2006 12:06 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Gold stars to Rick, Sara Ann and Leah for being on the ball (and online at such a late hour). Thanks for getting things rolling!

SA: Thanks for the title props. It's actually what I called my column the year I was editor of The Bison, and I couldn't think of anything better today.

Leah: Sorry for leaving you off. I'd been wondering what you've been up to the last few months since you came to visit. I'll add you to my list tomorrow.

 
At October 02, 2006 12:07 AM, Blogger James E. Miller said...

Nice blog, Cookie.

I haven't looked at the 2006 edition yet, but I heard that U.S. is now appropriate in all uses, not just as an adjective. Can you verify that?

One of my many gripes with AP Style: Kitty Litter. The stylebook says it is a brand name, so use "cat box filler" instead.

Who says "cat box filler"? I don't think Kitty Litter is a brand name these days anyway. Has that entry changed in the '06 edition?

I could go on and on and on...

But I still my AP Stylebook.

 
At October 02, 2006 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cookie!

Great to hear from you, even if it is in the form of a blog. I suppose that leaves me officially the last 20something without one, huh?

I'm going to go ahead and take part in this "geeky" AP style discussion, even though my job does not require me to write. I do design for writers who follow AP style, and my biggest issue with AP is a fundamental one... commas in a series. Maybe it's because I was taught another way first, but it sends chills up my spine each time we write about news, fundraising (notice the lack of a comma) and other items of interest. GROWL.

Have a great Monday!
-Amanda

 
At October 02, 2006 7:57 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Jim: I'll check on those tomorrow. I didn't know Kitty Litter was in there, but I just checked my old one here at home and you're right.
I could go on, as well, but I'm so happy that they fixed fund-raiser to fundraiser a year or two ago. That used to be my biggie.

Amanda: I symapthize with your terminal comma plight. The AP style is non-intuitive, to say the least.

 
At October 06, 2006 12:43 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Jim:
Good news and bad news to report.

Good news:
U.S. is now OK as a noun and an adjective, altough it looks like the change might have been made before the 2006 edition.

Bad news:
Kitty Litter is still a trademarked no-no. Sadly, so is Dumpster.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home