Monday, October 02, 2006

Playoff hopes and dreams

As a Cubs fan, my passionate interest in the 2006 baseball season ended sometime in June. But other than the looming possibility of another nightmarish Subway Series, the playoff docket isn't too bad. There's even a (likely short-lived) underdog to root for in the Tigers.

As I review the teams in the postseason, it seems that I have friends who are fans of every qualifier except the Yankees. I guess I know better than to associate with the Evil Empire.

Here are my off-the-cuff predictions:
NLDS
Dodgers def. Mets, 3-1
Padres def. Cards, 3-2
ALDS
Yankees def. Tigers, 3-1
Twins def. A's, 3-2
NLCS
Dodgers def. Padres, 4-2
ALCS
Yankees def. Twins, 4-2
World Series
Dodgers def. Yankees, 4-3
(I can't bring myself to pick the Yankees. Sorry.)

But here's my dream 2006 postseason:
NLDS
Dodgers def. Mets
Padres def. Cards
ALDS
Tigers def. Yankees
Twins def. A's
NLCS
Dodgers def. Padres
ALCS
Tigers def. Twins

World Series
Tigers def. Dodgers


Let's hear your predictions and/or dreams for the postseason.

4 Comments:

At October 02, 2006 1:41 PM, Blogger James E. Miller said...

What's up with not picking the Cards? Sure, they have lost 10 of their last 14, but come on.

I pick the Cardinals to get it together and make it to the World Series against the Yankees. No one expects much from my Redbirds, and I believe that will work in their favor.

 
At October 02, 2006 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a sentimentalist too; go Tigers.

They are last team to beat the Cubs in the World Series.

 
At October 02, 2006 8:01 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Sorry, Jim. You know I can't back the Cards. And their recent struggles offer a great excuse to pick against them. (Also, it was a great way to guarentee a response or two.)

As for Dusty, I think we've all seen it coming for months. Part of me is sad to see him go, as it's hard to blame just one guy for a whole team's struggles. But that's the way sports work. When your team approaches 100 losses, you kind of divorce yourself from what's going on emotionally. I think that's why I don't have a strong reaction either way.

 
At October 02, 2006 10:37 PM, Blogger CE Butler said...

Ryan,
If you starting a blog was the only thing keeping Dusty in Chicago ... well, anyway.

I agree that it's tough to pin the whole debacle on him ... but someone has to be accountable. Hendry's time is limited also.

I think I'm in the Dodgers' corner come playoff time. In fact, give me the Dodgers over the Tigers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home