Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Do I have to go Krogering?

Our apartment in Columbus is in a great location. We're a nice, quiet complex with a free shuttle to the OSU campus for Katrina, an exercise room for both of us, and a small commercial area right out front.

The good news: Convenient shopping, including a Big Lots and an Applebee's.
The bad news: The grocery store is a Kroger.

Thankfully, as long as you get a Kroger Plus Card, you're not paying the highest prices in the industry. But their offerings still leave a bit to be desired if you're not careful. We actually go to two other stores a few miles away to do most of our shopping each week and save Kroger for last-minute stuff and a few things that they're actually cheaper for.

Mentioning Kroger makes me think of two of my pet peeves of late:

1. People who add an errant 's to grocery and/or retail store names. (i.e., Kroger's, Wal-Mart's, etc.) I know this is a holdover from when many small stores were owned by one family and named after the family. Sadly, that's just not true anymore.

2. Annoying commercial jingles. Kroger's radio ads, while catchy, annoy me immediately with their made-up verb: "Let's go Krogering; a better way to shop."

But that's far from the worst offender. Has anyone else seen the TV ads for beepbeep.com? (From their endless ads on cable, I've gathered they sell cars. However, I wouldn't buy a car from them if they were the last car dealer on earth. Their ad is just too annoying.)

Any other nominees for most annoying ad?

3 Comments:

At October 04, 2006 5:51 PM, Blogger CE Butler said...

Can't think of any at the moment. I did want to tell you, though, that the premiere of the "We Are ... Marshall" movie is Dec. 12 in Huntington.
If you guys are still looking for places to visit that would make good "day trips," the stuff about the plane crash & Marshall is pretty interesting.

 
At October 04, 2006 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have just recently broken the Kroger's habit after a friend corrected me.

The TV spot with twice-divorced and three-times married Donald Trump extolling the benefits of "family time" really bugs me. Donald may or may not have a sharp business mind, but he doesn't have any business telling people how to manage family time.

 
At October 04, 2006 11:43 PM, Blogger James E. Miller said...

Even worse than the errant 's is when people add an article to the name of a store...

"I'm goin' to THE Kroger's."

"Even though they treat women like second-class citizens, I shop at THE Wal-Mart's."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home