Thursday, October 19, 2006

NPR

When you're in the car commuting for about nine hours every week, you become much better friends with your radio than you ever thought possible. I've picked up two new habits -- ESPN radio and ... NPR.

For those of you who don't know, NPR is National Public Radio. It is a nonprofit national radio network that has mostly news programming. Until, today, I thought it was less than popular; one of those things that you didn't freely admit listening to. Then I found these statistics, which show that, in an average week, about 1 out of 12 Americans listens to NPR at some point.

Somehow, NPR has been tagged with a false reputation of being "liberal." In my listening, I have only found that to be the case occasionally. Most of the time, like most legitimate media outlets, they seem to try to show both/all sides of an issue.

I actually enjoy their programming, which helps me keep up with major national and world news. Even though I work at a newspaper, most of my work centers on local stories. So that is helpful.

Because of my commuting schedule, the two NPR shows I get to hear most often are "Talk of the Nation" every weekday and "Wait, Wait ... Don't Tell Me" on Saturday. The later is a game show that I suppose can only be described as truly nerdy.

Ironically enough, part of today's "Talk of the Nation" is going to discuss increased commute times.

Any other closet NPR fans out there?

6 Comments:

At October 19, 2006 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes!! I listen to it every morning on my way to work. I am glad I am not the only 20somesomething that thinks that NPR has some good stuff.
Kim

 
At October 19, 2006 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My commute runs just under an hour, so I've also become very attached to my radio. Personally I'm not that fond of NPR, but that's because I've been spoiled by the likes of Charlie Sykes and Jeff Wagner. Unfortunately, I don't get that station right now so I've been listening to an excellent christian station out of Rockford and I have an mp3 CD player, so I've got about a third of music library in the car with me at the push of a button.

 
At October 20, 2006 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At October 20, 2006 9:45 PM, Blogger James E. Miller said...

Ryan, Why are you censoring your blog commenters?! What kind of example are you setting?!

As for NPR - I enjoy it immensely. I especially enjoy "All Things Considered."

 
At October 21, 2006 10:25 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

I wish I were in the car at the right time to hear "All Things Considered," as I've heard such great things about it.

I'm 99 percent sure that was some blog spam that I censored. We'll have none of that here.

 
At October 22, 2006 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, if you admitted listening to NPR, I will too. I find the national programming very interesting and a nice break from the rest of radio: boy bands and shouting neocons. The local programming is not so great, especially here in Northwest Arkansas.
My favorite show is "Car Talk." It is a call-in show featuring two really funny brothers from Boston giving advice about car problems. I could care less about the car problems, but the humor is outstanding.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home