Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Election Day Recap

After a long day and an even longer night for those of us in the media, Election Day 2006 is finished.

Locally, Katrina and I did a fairly good job of voting with the majority, especially on the issues I mentioned a few days ago. The minimum wage increase (that I voted against because it doesn't belong in a state constitution) was the only issue I voted against that passed. Thankfully, the disingenuous Issues 3 and 4 (slot machines to pay for college; fake smoking ban backed by big tobacco) failed , and Issues 5 and 7 (real smoking ban; local bus sales tax) passed.

Katrina and I walked to our polling place yesterday morning. There was no line, and the new electronic voting machines were easy to use and worked well. I can certainly see how they might pose a challenge to those who are not comfortable with technology, though.

I went into to work late yesterday so I could stay later and help edit our election coverage. I ended up working 5 p.m. to 3:45 a.m., which means my head hit the pillow at 5 a.m. I woke up at 11 a.m., but I'm going in late again today to cut some hours.

For reasons that I'm sure I'll learn more about at work today, our county board of elections was strangely slow in getting results out last night. That is a big part of the reason I had to stay so late.

Our lead story at The Advocate: Ohio was a strongly blue state Tuesday, but Licking County stayed mostly red. Local voters also rejected levies funding four school districts.

How did your Election Day go? Any important results from your area that you'd like to share?

2 Comments:

At November 08, 2006 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the results I glanced at this morning, it was all incumbents in WI, though I didn't pay close attention. Oh- and the measure to change the words 'husband' and 'wife' in the state constitution's definition of marriage to 'man' and 'woman' passed.

 
At November 09, 2006 10:02 AM, Blogger Kenny Simpson said...

We rednecks in Alabama re-elected Riley the repulican. One of the few to stay true...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home