Sunday, May 27, 2007

Promotion

Ah, the start of a three-day weekend. I know most of you get a three-day weekend, too, but mine lasts through Wednesday afternoon, making it nearly a four-day weekend.

Saturday also was my final day as an hourly worker. For those of you who haven't heard, I've been promoted at work. Starting this week, I'm the night local desk editor. That's a bit of jargon, so here's the translation: I'm essentially in charge of the newsroom in the evenings.

I'm the official supervisor of four reporters: the night news reporter (who's coming back from maternity leave soon, or so I hear) and the three sports reporters. That makes me, in essence, the sports editor, so I'll also be in charge of planning the sports section. I'll also get to go out and cover games at peak times (read: Football Fridays), so I'm really excited about that.

Another change will be my hours. As soon as my former position is filled, I'll be shifting to a Monday-Friday schedule. I'll also probably starting going in earlier, working from around 1 p.m. until around 10 p.m. Shifting to salaried means I won't have to watch the clock quite so carefully, but I don't plan on living at the office, either.

This is my first time as a high-level editor anywhere other than The Bison, so it's going to be a big change, and a big challenge. Your prayers would be appreciated, as would any advice you have to offer.

Have a great holiday!

5 Comments:

At May 27, 2007 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No advice, just a congratulations and continued prayers. MOM aka Kathy

 
At May 28, 2007 11:13 AM, Blogger Kenny Simpson said...

Congrats.

 
At May 29, 2007 8:46 PM, Blogger Joel Coehoorn said...

Way to go Ryan!

 
At May 29, 2007 8:57 PM, Blogger CE Butler said...

You're well prepared for this, Ryan! Like I've always said: If I was starting a paper from scratch, you'd be one of the first I'd call."

Enjoy it!

 
At June 04, 2007 8:50 AM, Blogger James E. Miller said...

You have all the talents and abilities needed to do that job effectively and efficiently.

The newspaper is in good hands.

I look forward to hearing some great newsroom stories from your perspective as an editor...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home