Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Dreams

Note: I haven't been interesting enough to get many comments lately, so this is going to be an attempt at an interactive post. Take your shot at any or all of the three questions below, if you'd like.

I'm sure you've all heard about the Cubs being up for sale at the end of this season. If 599 of you can come up with $1 million each to go with my million, they're all ours! A Midwestern guy can dream, can't he? First player to go: Bob Howry (o-2).

Question 1A: What MLB team would you like to own? Why?
Question 1B: What would you do if you owned the Cubs?

In association with another longtime dream, I've been reading several books written by famous Jeopardy! champions -- Ken Jennings, Bob Harris, etc. Katrina and I grew up dreaming of being on the show. I even tried out for the college edition once. The next time they have an audition in this area, we're there. It would be a great way to pay off HU once and for all, or maybe get enough for a down payment on a house.

Question 2: Do you have a secret desire to get on Jeopardy!? Or is Wheel of Fortune more your style?

My fantasy baseball league finally is underway, although I don't think a few of the guys have realized we've started. Kind of by default, I'm in second place after the first day. It was the first time I'd had a team picked by an auto draft, so it was weird waking up and "meeting" my team.

C Michael Barrett (ChC)
1B Adrián González (SD)
2B Ray Durham (SF)
3B David Wright (NYM)
SS Felipe López (Was)
OF Carlos Beltrán (NYM)
OF Chris Burke (Hou)
OF Mark DeRosa (ChC)
Util Aramis Ramírez (ChC)
SP Roy Oswalt (Hou)
SP Aaron Harang (Cin)
SP Brett Myers (Phi)
RP Trevor Hoffman (SD)
RP José Valverde (Ari)
P Clay Hensley (SD)
P Jason Schmidt (LAD)
P Jonathan Broxton (LAD)

Bench
Nomar Garciaparra (LAD)
Edwin Encarnación (Cin)
Rich Aurilia (SF)
Roger Clemens (Hou?)
Scott Olsen (Fla)

Question 3: Turned out pretty lame, didn't it?

Let's just hope:
A. Roger Clemens actually plays this year.
B. Adrian Gonzalez has many more days like yesterday.

5 Comments:

At April 11, 2007 11:58 PM, Blogger James E. Miller said...

I didn't know we had started. I just looked at my team, and I'm content. I need to make a few transactions, but I'll be OK.

I'd really like to have Wright or Oswalt. Let's make that happen, Ryno.

Question 2: I love Wheel of Fortune, and I'm sure I would dominate if I ever had the chance to play in the presence of Pat and Vanna.

I'm not smart enough (nor do I want to have the amount of useless trivia needed) to be on Jeopardy.

 
At April 12, 2007 8:27 AM, Blogger CE Butler said...

Winding up on Jeopardy is more of a nightmare than a dream for me, unless every category was something like, "Third basemen whose name begins with G" ...

Obviously, I'd buy the Cubs. My first move would be to lease some rooftop space which would serve as the new "owner's box" ...
Then, I'd fire Sweet Lou and hire Joe Girardi. And I'd bring Mark Grace back to Chicago to be my hitting coach. And Ryno (the other one) would be my roving infield instructor. Add Don Zimmer as the bench coach and we're all set.

 
At April 12, 2007 8:29 AM, Blogger CE Butler said...

Just making sure you caught the "basemEn whose namE beginS with the letter G"...

You crazy copy editor you!

Oh yeah... have you taken Katrina to Dresden yet?

 
At April 12, 2007 11:55 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Jim: Make me an offer, but it's going to have to be a good one for either of those guys.

Rick: Katrina's really not a basket person, so Dresden hasn't happened yet. We did go see the big basket building in Newark when my parents were in town. That was about enough Longaberger kitch for me, thanks.

 
At April 13, 2007 11:39 AM, Blogger CE Butler said...

Don't get all wrapped up in "baskets" ... it's more the atmosphere... it's the most quaint town in America.

Have I ever given you bad advice?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home