Monday, April 23, 2007

Cool News

Not that I usually care that much about the women's soccer World Cup, but this year's event is being held in China. Not only in China, but in several cities around the nation -- including Wuhan.

The draw for the 16-team event was held over the weekend, with the U.S. team getting a tough group of Nigeria, North Korea and Sweeden. (Apparently NK has a good women's soccer team, unlike anything else.)

Sadly, the US women will play most of their group games in Chengdu, but they could have a quarterfinal match in Wuhan if they come in second in their group. The full listing of groups and matches is here.

Makes me wish I still were over in Wuhan. It would be awesome to be able to cheer for a U.S. national team in any sport at an event like that. I might even travel to Chengdu just for the experience and the chance to be on ESPN.

Wuhan's group-stage matches will include China, New Zealand, Brazil and Denmark.

I know I have a few occasional readers in Wuhan. Anyone planning on going to any of the matches?

3 Comments:

At April 24, 2007 12:46 AM, Blogger James E. Miller said...

Any sport that can (and does infrequently) end in a 0-0 tie is not worth watching.

That's my U.S. bias coming out. Sorry.

 
At April 24, 2007 10:26 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

I normally wouldn't be all that excited about soccer either, but the idea of cheering for the U.S. in any sport right there in my adopted hometown is pretty neat to me.

I developed a toleration for soccer when covering Searcy High's teams because Rick wouldn't go near high school soccer if you paid him serious money.

If you love ties, you'd love our MLS team here in Columbus. Their first three matches of this season have ended: 0-0; 0-0; 2-2. Exciting stuff.

 
At April 25, 2007 9:14 PM, Blogger Joel Coehoorn said...

The Milwaukee Wave (indoor) have won the national title something like 5 of the last 8 years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home