Saturday, October 21, 2006

Men and Coins

One of my coworkers made an interesting observation earlier this week, and I wanted to get your take on it.

I was eating my dinner in the break room when he and one of the other editors (a woman) returned from picking up their dinner at a Chinese restaurant. She commented that he was so happy when his dinner exactly $5.40, as that left him 60 cents, which was exactly the amount he needed to get a can of pop from the vending machine. That left him with no change.

Megan said it's strange how men seem to have this strong dislike for change. I replied that the main reason I avoid change is the noise it makes in your pocket when it jingles; women have purses, but men have nowhere designed to keep their change.

Tom took it one step further, saying it might be a hunting instinct -- we don't want to make noise so we can move around without being heard and sneak up on people.

Any other theories on why men don't like to carry change? Any men out there who like change or women who hate it to disprove our premise for this conversation?

2 Comments:

At October 21, 2006 1:25 PM, Blogger CE Butler said...

I like having change ... but I despise carrying change.

You've heard how my ankles pop when I walk; if you throw in a jingle on every other step, it sounds like a tune.

 
At October 22, 2006 12:25 AM, Blogger James E. Miller said...

I like to get back even change, if that makes sense.

For example, if something cost $4.96 I give the retailer $5.06, if possible.

That way I get rid of six pennies or a nickel and one penny, and I get back a dime - not four pennies, as I would if I just handed over a five-dollar bill.

I like to downsize my coinage, in other words.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home