Sunday, October 22, 2006

Odds and Ends

Lots of little things are on my mind today, so here goes:


  • According to this AP article on Yahoo! News, Dunkin' Donuts is apparently trying to make a move into Krispy Kreme territory. I'm a KK aficionado, but Katrina is a New Englander all the way and grew up on DD. The article does a good job of summing up the ultimate doughnuts debate. Any thoughts?
  • It's shaping up to be another great year to be a Bison fan, with the football team back on track, the cross country men and women dominant as usual, women's soccer and volleyball doing well, and the men's basketball team picked as the preseason No. 1 in the Gulf South West. The coaches even think the women's team has turned the corner, picking them fourth in the West. Even the quiz bowl team is looking good! (You'll note I didn't mention men's soccer ...)
    Reminds me of 2003, when I was lucky enough to be sports editor for The Bison. Much of the above paragraph was true then, too.
  • Our Texan friend from Harding and Wuhan, Sara Ann, expressed a longing for China yesterday on her blog. I think her post captures how Katrina and I feel, too.
  • Speaking of China, those of you who are there or have been there before will likely find this peasant-bag fashion funny. All of you can appreciate the cuteness of pandas, however.
  • Finally, if you're in the mood for a fun challenge and have an hour or two to waste (like Katrina and I just did), try this puzzle set from The New York Times. If you correctly solve the six puzzles (three fairly easy and three hard), you will get the funny answer to the question: "Why did the slumping baseball players decide to form a new league?" (If you just want the punch line without solving the puzzles, let me know.)

I guess that's enough for one post. Have a great week!

4 Comments:

At October 22, 2006 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Katrina on this one. Krispy Kreme's strength is with glazed donuts, and I think they're too sticky. Give me a DD donut any time.

 
At October 24, 2006 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to take anything away from those other HU teams, but the Academic Quiz team is 21-2.

Just thought that I'd mention that.

Good coaching.

 
At October 25, 2006 11:15 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

As a former high school quiz bowler, I am always excited to hear about the HU team's success on your blog.

 
At October 28, 2006 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Depends on the craving?

Pastry? KK

Breakfast? Snack? Something filling? DD

KK can't beat a Sunday morning breakfast of a DD chocolate cake donut with a sips of french vanilla coffee between bites.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home