Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Bad Songs

Driving home from work tonight, I stumbled upon one of the worst songs of all time on the radio. You've probably heard of it and wish you hadn't: "Same Old Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg.

Perhaps the title doesn't ring a bell. It's the Pina Colada song-esque song about a former couple who run into each other at the grocery store on Christmas Eve (thus explaining why it's played during the holiday season). It takes 12 horrendous lines to get out of the store, including the stunning set of lines:

We took her groceries to the checkout stand
The food was totaled up and bagged
We stood there lost in our embarrassment
As the conversation dragged.

Ah, yes. The thrill and romance of your local supermarket. Which is followed by the truly inspirational lines:

We went to have ourselves a drink or two
But couldn't find an open bar
We bought a six-pack at the liquor store
And we drank it in her car.

You just can't beat a "Christmas" song with a six-pack that ends with both characters driving home after sharing said six-pack.

I don't feel like dragging you all through the rest, but you can read the lyrics here, or hear a bit of it here, if you dare. If this happens again, I'm kicking this station off my radio.

For a selection of other terrible songs, including his six worst, check out "Davy Barry's Book of Bad Songs." Wikipedia has an article with his bottom six here.

Any other nominations for worst songs ever? I know this is a can of worms, but have fun.

4 Comments:

At November 23, 2006 2:29 PM, Blogger James E. Miller said...

I'm offended. I love "Same Old Lang Syne."

My favorite line:

Just for a moment I was back at school
And felt that old familiar pain
And as I turned to make my way back home
The snow turned into rain...

You can't beat that poetic thought - snow turning to rain. It moves me.

OK, I am exaggerating; but I do like that song. In fact, I own Folgelberg's Greatest Hits CD.

 
At November 26, 2006 9:30 AM, Blogger CE Butler said...

I like Fogelberg, too. Ryan, you're weird.

 
At November 26, 2006 5:38 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Katrina's reply to the above:
"Maybe it's because they're old."

 
At December 01, 2006 5:26 PM, Blogger J. Beauchamp said...

You all better back off Fogelberg. Dud had some grand lyrical moments.

Stronger than any mountain cathedral
Truer than any tree ever grew
Deeper than any forest primeval
I am in love with you

Through the years as the fire starts to mellow
Burning lines in the book of our lives
Though the binding cracks and the pages start to yellow
I'll be in love with you

Sorry fellas, that there is gold.

By the by, the worst songs ever are
1. My Humps - The Black-Eyed Peas
2. I'm in Love with a Stripper - T-Pain

 

Post a Comment

<< Home