Wednesday, January 17, 2007

AP style quiz

This is comforting: Even The New York Times makes AP style mistakes. (Or they oddly have their own house style on this point.) A gold star to the first commenter to spot the AP style problem in this article. Don't worry ... it's pretty obvious.

In other recent news that I haven't had a chance to comment on:
- We have cows of all kinds in Iowa.
- Maybe we can actually make money off our Web sites!
- Breaking news: User-generated content is good for old-media sites.
- Amazing Race 11 starts Feb. 18!

5 Comments:

At January 17, 2007 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not knowing really anything about formal AP style, I'll just have to guess that One-Note should not be hyphenated.

 
At January 17, 2007 9:42 PM, Blogger James E. Miller said...

As you know, Ryno, The Times does have its own style - it doesn't follow AP on many points, including courtesy titles.

However, I thought it did follow AP on state names and abbreviations. I didn't read the story (I only made it through the top cutline), but Maine is not abbreviated Me. in AP style.

In fact, Maine is never abbreviated in AP style.

What do I win?

 
At January 18, 2007 1:09 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

As I said in the post, you get a gold star, Jim.

 
At January 18, 2007 9:25 AM, Blogger James E. Miller said...

Oh. I thought "gold star" was analogous for some other more exciting prize.

 
At January 18, 2007 11:26 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Sorry for getting your hopes up. But, as an expert in the field, you should know I don't have the cash for any exciting prizes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home