Thursday, January 11, 2007

A Special "Headlines" Vote

As I'm sure you all know by now, Ohio State fell apart Monday night in the BCS National Championship game, losing 41-14. I really can't say much about the game, as I was working through it. I worked a special 4 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. shift so we could do an eight-page special section on the game. (It was our A section, with a full-page photo on the front and three photo pages inside. We like the pictures.)

I, for one, am very proud of our banner headline from that day. (Full disclosure: I didn't come up with it. Credit for that goes to one of our copy editors, Tom.) So I thought we should play a game.

Below are the banner headlines various media used Tuesday morning. Leave a comment sharing your favorite and reason, or rank them. Feel free to suggest your own, too.

"Chompions" (a reference to the Gator chomp)
"Swamped" (a reference to Florida's home stadium)
"O-H N-O" (a reference to OSU's ubiquitous O-H I-O chant; they're very proud they can spell)
"Gator aides" (I think you can figure out the reference)

5 Comments:

At January 11, 2007 12:49 PM, Blogger Kenny Simpson said...

I think I'd go with Swamped, followed by Chompions.

 
At January 11, 2007 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd rank them:
1. Swamped
2. O-H N-O close 2nd
3. Compions distant 3rd
4. Gator aides - eh.

 
At January 11, 2007 11:42 PM, Blogger James E. Miller said...

I agree with Kenny; Swamped is the best in your list, and Chompions is a close second.

I'm a bit partial to Chompions because it's what the News Sentinel used here in Knoxville. Did you see that banner anywhere else, Ryan?

 
At January 14, 2007 9:41 AM, Blogger CE Butler said...

I like O-H-N-O the best. Swamped was way too easy.

A guy (or girl) in Boise could have used Swamped. The O-H-N-O captures the regional disappointment, I think.

Which did Tom use?

 
At January 14, 2007 12:14 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Good call, Rick. O-H N-O was ours, and since you're the only commenter with any regional connection, you picked it out. I thought it was brilliant for the situation, and it looked really good in print.

Swamped was OK, in my book, and it's what The Columbus Dispatch used. I'm sure it was used elsewhere, too.
Chompions was from ESPN.com.
Gator aides (which I thought was lame) was from several different places.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home