Wednesday, December 13, 2006

A Pet Peeve

I can't stand the way parents make up names for their kids today or -- even worse -- decide their kid needs to be unique with a nontraditional spelling of a common name.

It seems this comes up every few days at work. Last night, it was Nacole Jones, a girl on Newark's basketball team. Apparently, she pronounces it Nicole. But imagine the number of times she's had her name misspelled or had to correct someone's pronunciation.

It was understandable when my students in Wuhan had humorous non-names or misspelled a name, but I just don't understand how native speakers can do this. (A few memorable examples from Wuhan: Orange, Aster, Wakin, Celery, Flybird, Aki, CoCo, Lazaro, Del Piere, Sharing, Eleven, Juicy, Even, Edder, Sea Piano, Jungle, Nicing, Zero, Syringa, Serious, and Linze. Some other teachers in Wuhan had even more humorous "names," some of which are not appropriate for my blog.)

Any other silly names/spellings that you'd like to share?

3 Comments:

At December 14, 2006 9:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

There is always the urban legend of the twins names

Orangejello and Lemonjello

Then the always funny

Shi&%ead prounced Shi the ad.

 
At December 15, 2006 9:18 PM, Blogger James E. Miller said...

Retired HU professor Eugene Underwood's wife's maiden name was Mary Christmas.

My favorite major league baseball player names: Coco Crisp and Milton Bradley.

 
At December 17, 2006 12:04 AM, Blogger Renee Lewis said...

My parents named me Renee Ericha Lewis. How do you say that middle name? Could have been worse... They almost named me Ernestine Ericha Lewis. Imagine how many problems I would have today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home