Sunday, December 03, 2006

201-78???

I've seen some blowouts in person at the Rhodes, but never one like this.

In what must have been a thrilling game played in front of 31 people in Salem, W.Va., Lincoln (Pa.) beat Ohio State-Marion, 201-78, on Saturday. No, that's not a typo, and I did not make this up. It came across the AP wire while I was at work yesterday, so I thought I'd share.

Here's the AP story, and here's the official box score. Some highlights, other than the obvious Division III scoring record:

-Lincoln played 16 players; OSU-Marion played 5.
-Lincoln attempted 141 shots, including 60 3-point attempts. As a team, they had 75 rebounds, 40 assists and 48 steals.
-Lincoln's Sami Wylie nearly could have won the game alone, finishing with 69 points on 23-for-44 shooting and 21 3-pointers.

Let's just say there's a big gulf between the Scarlet Wave of OSU-Marion and the Buckeyes.

Speaking of the Buckeyes, we'll see who they get in the national title game later today. With USC's loss to UCLA on Saturday, the glaring need for a college football playoff is even more apparent.

As for the only real Division I football championship, UMass, Appalachian State, Montana and Youngstown State are still alive in the I-AA tournament.

1 Comments:

At December 03, 2006 9:44 PM, Blogger CE Butler said...

Great box score... here's what I got from it:
Garrick Wooten started the game, only had 2 points but did pull down 10 boards (and he only played 6 minutes).
Lavine Grimes finished with 4 fouls and only played 5 minutes.
Aaron Stephens was the only player on either team who didn't attempt a shot ... but he had 7 assists in just 7 minutes.
Purely from a statistical standpoint, I love these games!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home